Not the typical student? Study formulas are useful, but they are not the only way to tackle a problem. B&B offers the perfect guidance, but add your own spice to the mix sometimes!
Routines and habits are great to create the base of the knowledge pyramid. But true mastery of material comes from getting creative and using it in a new environment. If you’re feeling the grind of index cards, reading and note-taking, it may be time to shake up how you are approaching the material. Take a look at it from a different angle.
Here are a few ways you can change up your thinking:
- Submit to one of the photo or drawing contests on the B&B facebook page! The social media pages have been putting up creative contests with some awesome rewards.
- Teach a friend. Finding another student and verbally explaining topics to each other on a walk or coffee shop can help you see it from a different perspective.
- Add humor. Make a goofy comic or card – even it if is a dental pun. Bonus points if it includes a topic or something that you’ve been having trouble with. (Check out B&B’s Halloween post here for some ideas of dental puns)
- Make your own model. Dentistry is highly visual. You have to manipulate everything in your mind. Find some clay or household materials and create your own model of what is happening.
- Everyone loves a good song, if you have any musical talent (even if you don’t!) your classmates would love a quick laugh.
- Talk to a practicing dentist. This is true especially if you’re feeling a bit discouraged. Remind yourself why you’re doing this – look for clinical application and see how it is helping real people!
We would love to see and hear more ideas! Stay determined, stay focused. We’ve got your back!
Written by Dr. Kerri Lyons